Thursday, May 31, 2012

Around the world already?

80 days! (well 81 really). Silly to think I could have been around the world via hot air balloon in the same amount of time!! Instead, our 81 days have involved so many other 'trips' and visits on more of a local scale, but in some ways as exciting, definitely as informative, and made some new friends we shall cherish forever. In a nutshell Gabby has had: a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) in her arm that was finally upgraded to a double PICC for all her medication and nutrition needs while her pancreas heals, a g/j tube placed in lieu of just her usual g-tube allowing us to give her tummy all the rest it needed and keep meds safely administered as well as allowing us to transition off the IV nutrition to more of a 'normal' formula regime (and had to be replaced once), numerous ultrasounds to keep track of her abdomen, xrays for lungs/ribs/g-j placement, CT scan to diagnose colitis, frequent checks for UTI's (including a bacterial and yeast UTI), a nightmare night full of nasty seizures, 2 respiratory viruses just after what we were originally admitted for....her tonsils out!

I have had a lot of time to reflect late at night, and I know a meaning is here to see. I have learned so many ways to 'read' Gabby I didn't know before. This has given me such an opportunity to just be with her, talk to her, learn her. I just wish with all my heart it wasn't accompanied by so much discomfort for her, but I truly feel her purpose is to teach, and KNOW she knows I am learning, and our lives at our real home will certainly be better because of this. 

And just when I feel we have seen it all around here, in comes one of our favorite CNA's with a bag with an awesome special treat for Gabby! A local company named "Tubie Friends" create these bears with feeding tubes to help kids and families with tubie kids. HOW FANTASTIC!! I can't wait for Scarlett and Shea to get to take care of our new friend like they takes care of Gabby. 

Forgot to mention in all of this, I ended up with an emergent root canal, and having finally had the finishing touches yesterday my mouth is sore from all the clenching and crap that goes a long with it. Muscles spasms in my jaw and all....so pain med and bed is what this 'doctor' has ordered.


Regan making sure Gabby was 'OK' today :)
  

1 comment:

  1. she is beautiful, and it was good to meet you. i hope gabby likes her new friend. i thought of her when i felt how soft the coat was. the dark hair and sweet face reminded me of her too.

    hopefully we will see you soon and not in the hospital!

    rhys (and crew)

    ReplyDelete