The last few days have been full of learning and fun. First, the learning. We have been approached by the pain team about switching Gabby's long term continuous drip pain med Dilaudid (hydromorphone) to Methadone! I know!! I had the same reaction of utter shock and awe. Not knowing this medication had a role in medicine outside of 'clinics' for heroine addiction, I asked for A LOT of information and had a very long discussion face to face with the pain team. I learned it has a long constant level in the blood, and so it really reduces the ups and downs of pain control, and will reduce any withdrawl effects we could see in weaning dilaudid since Gabby has been on it continuously since March 26th. After my medical concerns were answered, the MCC team (our team of doctors) introduced me to a lovely family who has a child using methadone for pain treatment, and seeing the innocent face of a BEAUTIFUL child really helped me put an ease to my on edge nerves. We still have some steps to go through before the switch, one being the ECG of her heart rhythm. Waiting for cardiology to come back with their thoughts, as Gabby did have what is noted as a 'prolonged Qt' pattern. Her earlier ECG's didn't show any issues, but things change as we all know and am so pleased the staff is on top of checking everything out! It could be within a normal range, so not concerned unless they give me reason too! :) More updates on that as I hear.....
Next for the fun!! We have been getting up in the chair on a daily basis giving Gabby some sensory choices, story and song time, and just independent play time. Our friend Brenda gave Gabby the boa for her birthday, which we had so much fun getting dressed up in! Her bear has been great, as she and I have explored it with Gabby giving meds and feeds to her. I feel this is giving Gabby even some more information on what goes on in her own body. Regan even took some time seeing what it was all about. And today I did a Family Centered Care "New Anesthesia Resident" orientation so Tricia, Joanne (not pictured) and Margaret entertained Gabby with music and HAIR DO DAY! What adorable braids they did!!




No comments:
Post a Comment